Sunday, January 27, 2013

Picking out and moving on

My seam ripper was my best friend this weekend. It started Thursday, when in a burst of productiveness I began making an iPad case to carry on my next trip. Unfortunately, when I started sewing, I stopped thinking and wound up with a mess. The flap wasn't long enough, the lining couldn't be sewn in correctly and the handles were crooked. I went to bed.

As I slept, I dreamed about my sewing disaster. I needed a bag for my trip, which begins in a few days, and the fabric I was using was special. I had made it myself 7 or 8 years ago from a paper piecing kit my mother had given me, and I liked how it turned out. I didn't want to chuck this project and start over with something new.

The cat woke me at 3 the next morning (as he has done all week) and since I was too alert to sleep, but too tired to get up, I got the seam ripper and started ripping away before work.

Friday night, I resolved to stay up past 7, so that I could sleep past 3 am. I popped a 5-hour historical mini-series into the DVD player and started stitching on my resolution sampler. I stopped stitching around 10, but since the miniseries wasn't over, I caved in and started stitching again at 11. Big mistake. I didn't get to bed until after midnight and when I woke in the morning, I found that all the late night stitching was perfect, but in the wrong place. Out came the seam ripper again.

Thankfully, in both cases, the seam ripper worked well and didn't rip anything it shouldn't have. It is nice to be able to start over with a clean slate and have another go at a project that didn't turn out right. The result for me, was a pretty, functional iPad case that will be perfect for Friday's trip and some satisfaction that I was able to fix my mistakes and move forward. We don't always get that chance in life, but sometimes we do in sewing thanks to a seam ripper.

My finished iPad case is useful and pretty!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment