Saturday, February 2, 2013

The projects I can't tell you about

One of the frustrating things about sharing my projects with the world is that I can't share the gifts I am currently stitching--even when they are big projects that take a long time to complete--because the recipient might see them.

I've got a couple of these projects underway and have spent many hours working on them this year already. Since I can't show you my progress, the next two blogs will showcase the large gifts I finished last year.

Today I will show you a wedding sampler that I made for my sister and brother-in-law's Christmas gift. Yes, they have been married 8 years, but my philosophy is that it is never too late to give a couple a wedding sampler.

This sampler was adopted from a pattern by Hillside Samplings called "Seasonal Samplings". It attracted me for two reasons. First, my brother-in-law is an active hiker who has already helped my 5-year-old nephew climb his first Adirondack high peak. I thought the pattern would appeal to him as well as to my sister. Second, it wasn't just cross stitch. There were several new stitches that I had never worked, which made me excited to stitch the pattern.

I started working the sampler last January and finished it April 1. My favorite Massachusetts needlework shop and framer, Hoops and Needles, had it framed before the end of the month, so My parents visited in the fall it was ready for them to bring home to New York and wrap for my sister. I'm told that it was greatly admired on Christmas morning.

The finished design measures approximately 6" by 15".
The strawberry blossoms were stitched with eyelet and satin stitches.
For this tree I replaced smyrna stitch accents with gold beads.
The rhodes stitch apples were particularly fun because I had never tried this stitch. I liked how it turned out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment