Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A little wish for a happy life together

My time in Rhode Island was well spent. There wasn't much time for embroidery, what with managing kitty introductions, yard work, Easter and visits from friends, although I did help my new neighbor with a cross stitch kit and spent a lovely evening with her gabbing about cats and stitching. My last day in New England we spent at my husband's son's engagement party, hosted by his sister-in-law-to-be in a pretty glass coffee house in a Boston park. A lovely time, but we learned that the kids are too shy for a wedding shower. The engagement party was a compromise so that people could celebrate without putting the bride and groom on the spot. Luckily, I had already finished their shower gift and slipped it to them on Easter without fanfare.

 

My gift was simple embroidered pillow cases. Since I wasn't 100% sure that the bride would be changing her last name, although I know she is thinking about it, I went with their first initials--conveniently K & K--and cross stitched these pretty initials on each pillow case. The pattern is a free one from Blackwork Journey. The initials are classic and understated, just like the couple. I fell in love with the pattern when I went to the site to download a free blackwork sampler pattern. I have all the materials for the sampler, but somehow the pillowcases took precedence. It is nice to have a little project that can be finished quickly! I actually did most of the stitching during my last visit home and finished up in Colorado before this last trip out.

 

Now I have a request from my husband to make some for our bed, and have just heard that my baby cousin (20 years old) will be getting married later this year. It will be a great fast gift for her as well. So, I guess I will be busy stitching pillow cases this year, but it is so nice to have a little hand made gift of love to send along with these new relationships. A little wish for a happy life together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment