Sunday, September 7, 2014

So many projects, why do I need more?

I have so many projects going--three that I have been actively working on this weekend, and two more set up to work on before the end of the year. I have so much, in fact, that I made absolutely sure to do a bit of stitching each day this week and promised myself that I would go to my Brazilian embroidery guild so that I could have a few hours of uninterrupted stitching time. And it was so fun. I love the ladies who stitch at the shop, many of whom I haven't seen for months because of my peripatetic lifestyle. Guild was just the inspiration I needed to make progress on my step son's wedding present. I didn't have time to work on it in August, but I know now that it will be done before the end of September, although it likely won't be framed until after the wedding.

 

Of course there is a downside to going to guild, and that is that it is in the middle of an embroidery shop. I swore I wasn't going to buy anything, and I did pretty well until I caught sight of this little kit.

 

These Calla Lilies by DK Designs are only 3x3", but how gorgeous are they? Debbie Kelley has the most fantastic designs and such interesting stitches. The lilies are done with something called "interwoven cast-ons." I have no idea what they are, but I HAVE to try it. I love learning new stitches. And, of course, it looks so stunning on the black background, that I had to buy black trigger. Unfortunately, it comes in 1-yard cuts! I hope I am inspired to do other things on black trigger, or that my friends are inspired to try their own calla lillies on black trigger after I finish mine. I can't wait to stitch this pattern, but I will save it until October.

Unfortunately, the pattern, fabric and thread for this project weren't all that I bought. As I rummaged through the bins looking for this pattern, I (of course) ran across another pattern I had not seen before. Berry Bouquet is advertised as an advanced piece and it looks advanced, but so much fun to stitch! I purposely did not buy the thread for this project because, although I have just about finished the wedding present for my cousin, I want to make her a wedding sampler before the year is out as well. Berry Bouquet will have to wait until the Christmas holiday, but what a treat it will be to work on--especially in the dead cold of a New England winter!

 

I also loaded myself up on a third project-- raiding our crazy quilt group stash for some fabric to make a few hexagonal blocks so I can keep up with our project while I am away. I'll try to get them sewn up before I go home. At least this project didn't cost me anything (although only because I bought the pattern book the last time I stitched at the shop).

So what's up?! Obviously I have no will power. Good thing I am only in Colorado for 3 1/2 weeks this time. Any more and I would be sure to go broke!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment