Saturday, October 19, 2013

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is Mom's birthday. When she was visiting earlier this month, we presented her with her birthday gift--a cross stitch sampler that made me laugh even as I stitched. To understand why, you have to know:

  1. that Dad was a history teacher, so our whole family has always been enamored of historical artifacts, and;
  2. Mom has a coffee pot collection. She has at least 50 coffee pots--none of which include a Mr. Coffee. Hers are a variety of new and vintage drip and percolator pots. Included in her collection are my favorite double globe vacuum pots, and a drip stand that I got her in Costa Rica, which consists of a wire on a wooden stand that holds a cone-shaped bag of grounds through which you pour your boiling water.
A portion of Mom's coffee pot collection.

I knew I had to stitch this pattern as soon as I saw it. It is a free pattern from Plum Street Samplers that was featured on the DMC blog back in March. You can download the pattern here.

When my parents saw it, they both started laughing and Dad asked if the poem were made up, or if it came from an actual gravestone. It was made up, but it sure would be a fun inscription to use! It will soon hang in Mom's kitchen near the coffee pots. Happy birthday Mom!

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this makes me laugh! It is certainly true of me as well. Love your mom's gorgeous collection - it will go with it splendidly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a chuckle like Starr when I read your cross stitch verse, happy birthday to Mum my Mum bless her would have been 99 yesterday and Dad 103 on the 16th how I miss them.

    ReplyDelete