Saturday, June 1, 2013

Disaster planning

It is fire season again in Colorado, and since it was a dry winter, it could be extremely bad. Last year wild fires threatened two of the largest metropolitan regions in the state. They destroyed 600 homes and took several lives. My guild meets in Denver, which was spared the worst of the fires, but it wasn't unaffected. One of our most accomplished stitchers lost her home during the final weeks of the High Park fire near Fort Collins. She was in Australia at the time visiting family, but her husband happened to be home. When he got the evacuation notice he had time to make three salvage trips. He saved the pets, and Mary's embroidery--all except for the work she was still stitching. Nothing else.

 

Recently I was talking to some guild members about their plans for their collections of quilts and embroideries after they die. These women had only boys who weren't very interested in their mother's embroidery and clearly would have no idea of the value of the stashes and tools these women had amassed over a lifetime, or the family pieces they were custodians of. Although they aren't in danger of dying next year, they were worried about their stitching legacy. I understand. Having no children of my own and only a rambunctious nephew to will things to, I'm not sure what will happen to my own stitchery. I find it so depressing to see framed stitchery abandoned in second hand shops--but at least they have a chance at a new life if they make it that far.

 

The discussion made me remember Mary's husband--the man who chose to save his wife's stitchery, even when he knew that they would soon have nothing left. The house could be replaced, but a life recorded with a needle and thread is a treasure that insurance could never cover. May we all be blessed with people like him in our lives.

 

What plans have you made for your stitchery and stashes? Let's share our own disaster planning.

2 comments:

  1. It is a worry what will happen to our treasured pieces but there is not much we can do about it I suppose. There is also all our supplies, machines etc are they doomed for the charity shops or the dustbin I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a concern. I know my mother's quilt guild has rescued many stashes and tools from oblivious family members. It is something to ponder.

      Delete